Custom Search

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Life on a "Boomer"

I posted some facts about the USS Louisiana a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I would follow up on what it was like to call the SSBN 743 home for a few months. The picture to the left is a cutaway view of an Ohio Class submarine, so called because the USS Ohio was the first one. The Louisiana was slightly different than the one pictured, but it still gives you an idea of the way the inside looked. Do you see where the crew sleeps? Yep, right there with the giant nuclear missiles! Every submariner goes through typically the same experiences, but they can vary some. Some Captains drill more than others. Sometimes when you are underway, you have an ORSE (Operational Reactor Safeguard Exam) to get ready for. My Capt. liked to drill, so everyday M-F at 6 am or so, the entire ship would be awakened by a "General Alarm" usually signifying a fire of some sort, or sometimes a call to "Battle-stations". Most of us were on an 18 hour day which means we were on watch for 6 hours and off for 12 before going back on. During that 12 hours, you had to do any co-lateral duties, study for quals or assist with any maintenance as well as get some sleep. I was in the Engineering Department, so I spent alot of time in the Engine Room. Most of my Battle-station assignments were there as well. An ORSE is really a way of testing the Engineering department so they know we will not cause a meltdown or something with the Nuclear reactor. The rest of the ship is really not involved much. I spent a total of 36 hours with no sleep (basically from the time the ORSE team arrived until they left). They drill you, test you, observe you, and watch while you are being trained. It is a very stressfull time. On a boomer, if you are not getting ready for an ORSE, then you are most likely on patrol. When on patrol, you are not allowed to be very loud. We ran "ultra quiet" most of the time and rarely ran drills as to not give away our position. Overall it was a good experience for me and I do not regret it. I have plenty more about life on a "Boomer" but I will save some for another time. I am just getting started!

No comments: